Monday, May 11, 2009

In Memory of Stripey...


STRIPEY (the big cat in this picture)
May 2008-May 2009

Our beloved Stripey met an untimely end this weekend on the road by our house. We saw her on the way to church (luckily the boys didn't see) we weren't sure it was Stripey since there are lots of grey and black striped cats in the neighborhood, but Grandma stopped and took care of "burying" Stripy for us and the lack of a tail confirmed it (that and the fact that she wasn't at the door to greet us when we came home from church)

I was terribly sad and was afraid to tell the boys, but they took it surprisingly well. Here's how the conversation went.

Me-Boys, I've got some bad news to tell you
Boys- What?!
Me-Stripey got killed in the road today down by the bridge
Boys- Is Spots still alive (our other cat)
Me- Yes...
Boys...Phew!! Well Stripey did live a long time.

We've had Stripey for less than a year. Guess when you live out in the country, you learn that a couple months is a long time for a cat. They commented on and are comforted by the fact that Stripey has many friends in Kitty Heaven. (they named off several of the friends she could play with there) When this was all over, Thomas hugged Michael and said..well now we'll just share your cat. I was shocked by the lack of sadness in them...it was almost funny.

We talked about why we shouldn't play in that road, and Thomas made us all write a safety rule for cats on a piece of paper that he's going to show to Spots so that she can be safe.

Thomas will miss Stripey, but will be able to remember him when we go to the grocery store, because he is convinced that the picture on a certain type of cat food is actually stripey and he often stops people in the store to show them his cat.

Aww...I'm a little misty eyed now, so I'll end this post with Dave's Ode to Stripey he wrote awhile ago.

Hello Stripy,
Where's your tail?
A pleasure to watch
Yet, you're dangerous to feed.
The boys enjoy hugging you tight
But you're no Sally cat.
You're cute with Spots
But food selfish
Love, S8SFAN

(Just a note on the food selfish thing...Dave said 20 minutes before we saw Stripey in the road, she was stealing food from Spots...so maybe Spots put a hit out on her ;))

Feel free to leave any memories of Stripey in the comments...as I'm sure we all have special things we remember about Stripey and in times like these it is important to share memories.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to say how much I miss Stirrups. I loved to watch her bring home dead little animals that she was able to catch and leave them on the back porch. I also loved when she would walk under my feet causing me to nearly fall on my face. I also enjoyed being attacked by her when I took food out to her. I'll miss you Powder.

Tyson and Denise said...

lol, I unfortunately have no memories of Stripey, however, I will miss the poems in honor of him and agree with the boys, he lived a long full life and will have MANY friends in cat heaven. Good luck Spots may you enjoy not having to eat while looking over your shoulder for the snarling, food swiping friend.

WV: Brent... maybe this is a sign, and should be the name of your next cat!!

The Walkers said...

I was more than a little upset at the realization that it was in fact Stripey that was on the bridge. However being a cat mortician is right down my ally. Maybe that is why Dad didn't follow in his fathers footsteps. His wife just has no patience with sentiment. LOL.

Adam and Sherry said...

Stripey-O-Stripey our little neighborhood will never be the same without you. We remember when you were very small and we would open the door a crack and find you streaking into the house only to send the children running to catch you. We will also never forget your stub for a tail. Not all cats can sport that as well as you did. We are so glad that Stripey accomplished so much in his long life he made so many friends that are waiting for him in cat heaven. I am only sad to know that he isn't in the cat graveyard behind our shed so we will never have a place to go to remember him.

The Patty Cake House said...

OHHHHHH Stripey - why did you have to go so soon - before I had the chance to meet you. Sniff, Sniff!!!! :(

Doug and Michele said...

LOL - thanks for the giggle!
I am sorry he is gone, but glad the boys took it so well. Remember, we should have PLENTY of replacements for you, maybe even some without tails! They are still too little to look close.