
As I have been excitedly noticing signs of spring poking through the snow (wish these were in my yard!) I feel some similar things going on inside myself...I think I feel like I've been buried under a huge pile of snow...and I'm ready for it to melt off!
I was reading this book last night (I highly recommend it)

and a few quotes really hit me...like literally made me gasp...I wanted to record them here so I could remember them (and maybe they would help someone else who reads this)
***
"Sometimes the pattern of life seems a little monotonous--and discouraging. It is like climbing a mountain and, after reaching the top, getting knocked back down to the bottom to climb it again; but I guess the fun is in climbing and not arriving. I hope so!"

My thought when I read this was...wow...sweet little Sister Hinckley hated laundry and dishes too :) Sometimes just hearing that others (especially those that seem larger than life) struggle with my same frustrations makes me feel better (I don't know if she really was talking about housework stuff...but I like to think she was)
Don't you just seriously feel like this sometimes...well guess what...it's o.k. so did Sister Hinckley :)*****
"As you create a home, don't get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for either you or your family. Don't dwell on your failures, but think about your successes"
(um yeah...I KNOW what's distracting me...need to work on that..also gotta think of some successes to think about)
****
and finally...
"We each do the best we can. My best may not be as good as your best, but it's my best. The fact is that we know when we are doing our best and when we are not. If we are not doing our best, it leaves us with a gnawing hunger and frustration. But when we do our level best, we experience a peace"
I started crying when I read this (and when I just typed it again) I know that is the Spirit testifying to me that that suffocating, frustrating, feeling I've been having is that I know I haven't been doing MY best...that needs to change...
So my goal for March is to do MY best...(In MANY areas I've been slacking on)...so that I can feel that wonderful peace that Sister Hinckley talks about...I want to feel as happy and content as she looks (I know, I know, she worked on it for years...but I believe I can feel it at least somewhat)...I need that in my life and I feel like I just got a little glimpse of how to accomplish it.

Thank you Sister Hinckley (and my mom for talking about this book and inspiring me to pick it up off the shelf and read it again)



4 comments:
Some days are HARD. Some Months are HARDER. You may have to do as I did years ago. Find one positive thing that you do during the day(you will be surprised how many you find)and write it on a piece of paper and put it somewhere where you can see it. Do the same with one negative thing that happens (more if you want) and instead of posting it, throw it away. Just get rid of it. We don't need negative in our lives. You will be surprised how good it feels to throw away negative things. You are a great Mother and Wife and a beautiful person. Glad you read that book. It really is my all time favorite!!! (Right next to Emily Watts Confessions of an Unbalanced Woman) Love you MOM
THANKS!!!!! There is nothing more that I can say!! I am going to pick that book up tonight and read too!!
I think I will also be reading that tomorrow. Thanks for the uplift. You can put that on your "things I did good today" list. :)
I love you, thank you for being the woman in my life.
Post a Comment