Thursday, August 21, 2008

"The First Day of First Grade" or "The day Mom should have stayed in bed!"

Well the long awaited day was here...the first day of first grade. You know what this means, 3 recesses, lunch at school, and you're all grown up now.



Here is my big first grader anxiously awaiting the bus (he had been ready for over an hour at this time...I'm thinking this won't last)





He was so excited to be able to ride the bus. I really wanted to take him to school, but he would have NOTHING to do with that. After I'd asked him for about the 10th time he said...in all his 6 year old disgust "Mom...this is the first time I've been able to ride the bus twice in one day...I'm VERY excited" o.k. arguement over.





I did convince him that I could come to school and take a picture of him in his class (to which he said..."o.k. but then leave") so...here's the picture I took at school...








....if you look closely, he is not very happy. Now this isn't that I was there...but that I FORGOT to send a stuffed animal for him today and forgot to help him make some binocculars for the first day of class. He was in tears. And so was I. First day of first grade and already I failed him. So I rushed home to get his stuffed animal and called grandma to help me make a pair of binocculars. Thankfully she had a paper towel roll and was able to get started on the binocculars before I got home.



Well...we found the stuffed animal and grandma met us at the house with the most fabulous pair of binocculars EVER (thanks so much mom). I rushed them back to school, and Michael's face lit up. I was a happy mom (who was very glad I followed him to school today even though I still feel like a failure for forgetting this important thing)



Well...the day went quickly and I thought I would make some Chocolate Chip cookies for my boy to enjoy when he came home from school...cuz that's what good mom's do right? Well...I shouldn't have tried so hard...sigh...



I was making the cookies and then got a phone call and forgot to put the eggs in before the flour..CRAP...but I didn't think it would make that much difference, so I mixed up the eggs and put them in with the flour and all looked good until I stuck my finger in to take a taste....OH MY GOSH...my tastebuds were met with the most awful taste I have ever tasted I spit the dough out in the sink and tried to wash the taste out of my mouth (my throat still seizes up thinking about it)



I couldn't figure out what was wrong...certainly putting things in in the wrong order couldn't have caused THIS!! well...after some investigation...I solved the mystery (I'm so embarassed to even put this)




I put in EPSOM salts instead of SUGAR...um yah...yucky (and crunchy) I had a baggie of both on the counter (a small fact that I had forgotten) and put the wrong one in. I warn you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER make this mistake.



Well...Michael came home (to no cookies) and was so excited to tell me about his day!!



Lunch was "FANTASTIC" and he ate "almost" all of it. Recess was wonderful and he has a new bandaid from the nurses office to show for it. and the bus ride was wonderful!!



I'm so happy his day went well.



So...we decide to make some more cookies...I measure and check every ingredient carefully and Michael helps mix and bake them and they turn out tasty...but FLAT as pancakes. (I think I may have left out the Baking Soda) Michael said and I quote "these cookies look kind of wierd mom"



**Sigh** Why do I even try :( I think next time I'll pick up some oreos at the store!!



But besides all that, Michael had a wonderful day...and that's all that matters.

7 comments:

Camille said...

So cute! You are such a good mom to rush and do all those things for him! I love the cookie story. It worked out for the best cuz you made a good memory with him helping you after school!!

Adam and Sherry said...

Well at least at the end of your day you get to have Ice Cream for you and 50 of your friends right!!!

Doug and Michele said...

Awesome!! He looks so cute - and I'm glad to here I wasn't the only one with a crazy first day. Sorry about the cookies. I hope you could at least salvage the chocolate chips.

Tyson and Denise said...

lol, I hope you can see how funny your day was and stop feeling bad about it...you guys crack me up. I hope the 2nd day of first grade goes a little better than the first!!!

Bywizzy said...

That's the best! Having garritson blood in him I am sure the look of the cookie didn't stop him from eating a bunch of them! I know it wouldn't stop me.

The Patty Cake House said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only mom who does crazy things! I was laughing out loud reading your blog. :o)

Anonymous said...

What a first day of school. I am so proud of my boy and his brave mom.