Sunday, December 13, 2009

All types of Testimonies...

I think most people who read this blog know how addicted my husband Dave is to football, and how much he loves the New Orleans Saints. (if you don't...just check out his blog...it's on my sidebar)
Well...the Saints are doing EXCEPTIONALLY well this year, along with the Colts, they have one of the longest undefeated streaks in NFL history (I think this is what he told me...sometimes when he starts talking football I hear Charlie Brown's teacher "whah whah whah...whah whah"


The fact that they are doing so well means that their games are televised more frequently. Of course most games are on Sundays, and they seem to have been starting at 11:00 which means he gets ready for church early and watches every last second he can until we leave (at 12:50..on a good week). I can see how torn up he is to have to leave such exciting games!


Well today he was watching a game and it was snowing like crazy. He hadn't had the chance to get ready for church early since he had been shoveling the 3,000 feet of snow we got today. So...he had to tear himself away from the game even earlier so that he could get ready. We had discussed having him stay home and keeping Robert home to keep him away from germs...but HE decided that the place we needed to be was church.


While he was in the shower I was talking with Michael...here is our conversation


************
Michael: What would happen if there was so much snow that it covered up the doors of the church.



Me: Well, the Bishop would call us and cancel church.



Michael: That would be cool and dad would love it cuz he could finish watching the Saints
(and Michael could continue trash talking the Saints)



Me: Dad would like to stay home and watch football I'm sure, but what is he going to do today?



Michael: He's going to church.



Me: So what do you think is more important to dad...the Church, or football



Michael: The church is most important to him.



Me: Yep...it is...now go get ready!


*************
When it was time to leave for church...Dave gave me his pitiful puppy dog eyes and didn't want to leave the game yet...I told him the conversations I had with Michael and told him what a strong testimony he was bearing to his son today...just by going to church. To me too...Knowing how important football is to him...and that his team is having the dream season he's been wishing for since I've known him...watching him go out that door to church instead of making excuses and staying home really meant a lot to me today.



Thanks Dave for being an example to your son and for sharing your testimony in all kinds of ways...I love you!!

6 comments:

The Walkers said...

Testimonies like that are many times better than one spoken. He is a wonderful Dad and a Wonderful Husband. I have always been thankful that he is a part of our family. Mostly because I know that my daughter will always be taken care of and that my grandchildren will always have the Priesthood in their home. He is a GREAT guy and I am waiting cautioiusly for the Saints Colts superbowl. HELP!!!!!

Doug and Michele said...

Way to go Dave!! Sacrifce always pays off - I bet Michael will remember that for years to come.

Tyson and Denise said...

I wish I could buy you tevo for Christmas Dave....

....they really watch everything don't they. What a great testimony for your kids.

Robyn said...

Great story- I'm sure Michael won't forget that ever!

Anonymous said...

I know that if I had stayed home the Saints would of lost for sure...And I would be the one to blame. Drew Brees, himself would have probably sent me a letter asking me to find another team to cheer for.

Wow, I'm glad I went to church!


Lucky 13 - 0 this week...

~Jen~ said...

Great story...and a great example. But being a COWBOYS fan, I am having to hold back a bit of Saints trashing.