Thursday, December 24, 2009

Traditions...

One of my favorite traditions we have, is the ornaments on our tree...

Dave came up with the idea when we were on our Honeymoon in Annapolis Maryland...we found this beautiful ornament and that's where it all began...

We decided to give each person in the family a new ornament each year (usually right around Thanksgiving when the tree goes up)...

Here are this year's ornaments...

Dave's

Mine (Dave say's I'm his angel and the green wings represent me getting better at taking care of our garden and stuff like that)

Michael's (my boy LOVES BYU)

Thomas' (he really loves cats!)


Robert's (We will put a picture of him on his first chrismas in the middle)



We also decided to get ornaments from anyplace we've traveled that year

we have a lot from here!

Disneyland!!

Family vacation to Salt Lake


I just LOVE getting the ornaments out each year...it is one of my favorite things that I do to get ready for christmas...I open the box and memories come FLOODING back...

Our first kiss (on Mt. Kissamore...we had smores after)


Michael's First grade gift to us (his handprint)


How much Thomas LOVED the color orange


Some just make me laugh...


Some make me cry... (my favorite ornament from Grandma Walker's tree)

How much my hubby likes to BBQ


Moving into our new house...



Dave's first "real" job...


Each ornament has a memory with it...I LOVE it!!

Even the Star has a memory...it looks like one we saw in the Browning center when Dave and I went to the Nutcracker...I looked for it for 4 years! (had foil covered cardboard until then)


We of course started with just a couple of ornaments and needed other things to fill it up like candycanes, and other types of ornaments...now we don't even hang them all...the tree is getting crowded!

Someday maybe I'll have a pretty, shiny, coordinated tree somewhere in my house...but I'll always have a tree like this somewhere too!



Of course, my favorite thing under the tree is this :)


The plan is to give the boys their ornaments when they have their own homes...sounds like a good idea...but I'm not sure I'll be able to part with them!!

5 comments:

Doug and Michele said...

I LOVE your ornament tradition! It is fun for me to see them, so I can imagine how fun it is for you. I don't think you need any other tree - just maybe get a couple by the side of this one as the ornament collection grows. You can have your own Christmas tree forest!

The Walkers said...

Never stop and I too am not sure that you will be able to give up those ornaments until you are not here anymore. I love your tree!!!!

Stacey said...

How fun! What a great tradition!! Your kids my kids could have a pj party together! I love children's place!!!

Adam and Sherry said...

I LOVE your tree!!! Every time I see it I wish I had done something that cool. And I don't know if I could part with them but maybe by then you will have so many you can keep your favorites and give them the other ;) I LOVE IT!!!

Lisa Carter said...

How important are traditions in our lives. I love to see what other family's do, because it's never too late to start a new one. I think that my new tradition is to copy you and get me a really cool lamp for my front window. Hummmm, what should I get? Tiffany, alabaster, oh wait I know, I'm going to find a lamp in the shape of a net hose and garder covered leg lamp!